It’s almost the end of winter. I can feel that the weather is slowly getting warmer and I’m becoming more anxious to see the beautiful, cherry blossom filled spring that I’ve been waiting for since forever. For the past month, I’ve decided to stay indoors, partly because it’s cold and partly because I was in a super money saving mode. I feel that this hermit lifestyle set me into a monotonous routine. Wake up, go to work, work, come home, eat dinner, sit around, sleep, then do it all over again. A part of me says, Hey! You’re living in Japan. Just go outside and walk around. I haven’t really listened to my inner self since it has been too cold and windy. With all the excitement of moving abroad, I now realize that it is possible to have a monotonous life, even when living in a foreign country. If you’re not constantly traveling, you can settle into a comfortable lifestyle and fall easily into that daily routine. I want to get out of this feeling and find that excitement of being here in Japan.
I’ve thought about the things around town that I want to do, just to get out of my apartment and be able to experience life in my town. With the next coming month, I’ve decided to change that monotonous lifestyle and add a bit of color to my life by:
- Reading in a café, once in a while. It’s one of my goals to read more, so why not step outside and find a comfortable café to sit, read, and enjoy Japanese café life. I just finished Wild by Cheryl Strayed, now I’m reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I’m not sure what to expect from Never Let Me Go. We’ll see what happens!
- Hiking. Another one of my goals is to be more outdoorsy. My dad would always take us hiking when we were younger and we would complain a lot, but secretly, I loved it. I love being outside and being one with nature. There are a ton of mountains here, so I’m sure there are a ton of beautiful hikes to do.
- Working up the courage to ask more coworkers to a meal. I’ve had lunch with a few coworkers and I loved being able to talk to them on a more personal level to get to know them better. I would love to get together with them again as well as ask more people out to eat. It will also help me practice Japanese!
- Going on more walks/bike rides around town.
- Going to the onsen. Relaxation time!
These are the activities I hope to implement more within the coming month, in order to get myself out there a little more. I’m also happy that these activities don’t cost a lot, so my wallet will be very happy. I hope this will bring me back to feeling the excitement of living in a foreign country. I truly love being here and I don’t want to take my experience for granted.
Have you had the experience of falling into a monotonous lifestyle as an expat? Do you have any advice to find the excitement of being in another country again?
Linking up with Weekly Wishes